Blog Archive
Monday, March 1, 2010
Eating Healthy
There is no doubt that the childhood obesity rate is going up. More stress has been put on eating healthy and nutritious foods. Throughout the years, our wellness classes have been preaching to students about having a healthy diet. Do you think it is hypocritical of our school to offer foods like pizza and french fries at lunch almost daily? Explain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I think that our school lunches could be healthier. I pack my lunch but I see what other kids buy everyday. I don't think all the food is bad. We do have a salad bar and things. I think one thing is that we should have is more fresh fruits and veggies available. Erica is right. We do talk a lot about being healthy in our gym classes! We all I think can just make healthier choices when it comes to food and being healthy.
ReplyDeleteOur school preaches about eating healthy and making the right choices, yet they offer fried foods almost every day in the week. I believe this is very hypocritical of them. I agree with Erica, and we do get lectured in our health classes about how America's obesity rate for kids and young adults is increasing rapidly. However, schools aren't taking any action to stop this epidemic. Yes our school did put in a vitamin water vending machine, but what good is this when there is a pop vending machine just down the hall and two snack machines across the cafeteria. Kids are usually going to go for the sweeter tasting beverage. Lecturing them constantly isn't going to help, showing them what healthy choices to make in life will help drastically. We can all decide to eat a more healthy diet.
ReplyDeletere: Erica (eating healthy)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Erica, because the extra food our cafeteria serves is almost always unhealthy. While the main meal might be healthy (the health information is always posted at the beginning of the line), some students do not like it. It is nice that the cafeteria offers healthier options like a salad bar, fruit cups, yogurt, and grapefruit halves, but the unhealthy options still outweigh the healthy. Also referring to Nick's post about mandatory gym classes, gym classes maybe would not be made mandatory if our school community was healthy and everyone participated in a sport. But, because we choose not to stay fit, gym class is being forced upon us. So yes, in the end, the school is being hypocritical by giving us unhealthy food, but then making us take a physical education class because obesity is growing.